Skip to main content

Key Information

Moving your family and all your worldly possessions to a new home can be stressful. Below we offer a useful guide to provide a high level view of the key things to consider if you're moving to Jersey. This information is also available in PDF format upon request by emailing Still have a query? Give us a call on +44(0)1534 440604.


Currency: Jersey £ (but all United Kingdom sterling currencies are legal tender in the island and a number of retailers accept payment in Euro)

Time Zone: GMT


Moving your household goods

When you move to the Island, you must declare any household goods you are bringing with you to the Jersey Customs and Immigration Service (JCIS).

There may be instances where you will have to pay 5% GST* (Goods and Services Tax), Vehicle Excise Duty* (VED) or import duty on those goods. In certain circumstances you can qualify for relief on GST on personal belongings and VED on your vehicle. There is no relief on commercial items.

The personal property considered for relief is only applicable to the person who is changing residence or transferring personal property from a secondary residence.

Examples of personal property are household effects, bikes, caravans, pets, musical instruments etc.

There is no relief available for tobacco or tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, commercial means of transport or articles for use in a trade or profession other than portable instruments of the applied or liberal arts.

Items such as personal collections of antique or ornamental firearms will require a permit before they can be imported and you may only possess a firearm if you have been granted a firearm certificate by the Constable of the Parish in which you live, you can find more information here.

For further information on imports and exports click here.

* All rates may be subject to change on an annual basis. For up-to-date information please visit


applying for gst relief on personal property

You can apply for relief on GST for imported belongings if:

  • you have owned the goods for more than 6 months and  they have bene in your possession at your former, normal place of residence
  • the goods are moving from a secondary residence outside Jersey to a principal residence in Jersey

The goods must have been in your possession and at your secondary place of residence for a minimum of six months prior to the date you import the goods into Jersey.

If it is considered that goods transferred from a secondary place of residence has deliberately been placed in storage at the secondary residence for a period of six months prior to importation to avoid GST no relief shall be granted unless:

  • the goods are intended for the same use as previously, at your new normal place of residence
  • your normal place of residence has been, for a continuous period of at least 12 months, outside of Jersey, or if your principal place of residence is in Jersey, but you own a secondary residence outside of Jersey

FAQ - What happens if i sell my goods after moving to Jersey?

If you lend, hire, sell, give as security or give away any property that was granted relief on change of residence or goods transferred from a secondary place of residence within 12 months of the relief being given, you must inform the JCIS. You will also be liable to pay GST on the value of those goods at disposal.

FAQ  - I am moving to Jersey permanently. Can I make arrangements to import my goods and claim relief before taking up residence?

You must apply for GST relief prior to or when you arrive in Jersey. You are allowed to arrange for the importation of your goods into Jersey and make use of the change of residence relief for your personal goods before you move, so long as you take up actual residence within six months of the importation and security for the payment of GST is given to the satisfaction of the Agent of the Impôts, determined with reference to the liability to GST. If you meet certain criteria, you will not be charged GST on your personal belongings, including any means of transport.

To download the importer's declaration form click here.


Bringing your car to jersey

Registering your vehicle in Jersey

If you intend to live or have been living in Jersey for more than 12 months you must register any motor vehicles you import immediately. There is no period of grace for driving in Jersey on foreign registration plates (Jersey residents cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle in the Island). You must also be able to prove that you own the vehicle.

If your vehicle has been registered in another country and you plan on living in Jersey for more than 12 months, you'll need to:

  • Provide the following at Driver and Vehicle Standards (DVS) when you register your vehicle:
    • a Jersey driving licence (obtainable from your Parish Hall)
    • a valid registration certificate or export certificate (fax copies or photocopies are not acceptable)
    • Jersey customs import declaration
    • a valid insurance certificate or cover note for your vehicle (fax copies or photocopies are not acceptable)
  • book your vehicle in for an inspection
  • pay the inspection fee of (£36)*
  • provide a certificate of type approval for vehicles under 25 years old
  • provide an invoice or bill of sale for the vehicle
  • pay any Vehicle Emissions Duty (VED)*
  • pay any Goods and Services Tax (GST)*

To download forms and to find out more click here.

Vehicle specifications

Your vehicle will need to meet certain specifications and may be examined before it's registered. If your vehicle is over 25 years old, then special exemption provisions will apply.

It must meet with Jersey legislations. Some items which may not be allowed include:

  • headlights not designed or manufactured for driving on the left hand side of the road
  • mirrors without safety markings
  • seatbelts and anchorages without safety markings
  • speedometers that are not marked in both mph and kph
  • red direction indicators
  • lamps without the required angles of visibility
  • wheels and tyres that project beyond the wheel arches
  • windscreens and front side windows that are tinted beyond the legal limit
  • bull bars

It is worth noting, once registered in Jersey cars are currently not subject to Road tax or MOTs in Jersey.

Paying Customs, Goods and Services Tax (GST) and Vehicle Emissions Duties (VED) on an imported vehicle

If you move to Jersey from outside of the Island and register the vehicle here, you may be liable for customs duty, VED and/or GST.

As with other personal goods being moved over, if you have owned the vehicle for more than 6 months, you can apply for personal belongings/change of residence relief you must make an application before or at the time you start living in Jersey.

If you're applying for secondary residence relief (moving the car from a secondary residence outside of Jersey to a principal residence in Jersey), you should make an application before or at the time the vehicle is imported.

You should visit Jersey Customs and Immigration Service to find out if the vehicle will incur any taxes. Please take with you:

  • photo ID (driving licence or passport)
  • registration document (usually V5C which must include manufacturers CO2 emissions data for cars, and cubic capacity (CC) for vans)
  • invoice for vehicle or a recent valuation
  • ferry ticket for bringing the vehicle to Jersey


FAQ - What will I have to pay?

Customs Duty and GST*

If you import the vehicle from the EU, it will be liable to GST at 5% on its value at import, including all freight charges and insurance costs.

If you import the vehicle from outside the EU, GST at 5% and customs duty must be paid. Customs duty is charged according to the type of goods and where they are imported from.

In cases where duty or GST payment relief is granted, you will be liable for any relevant taxes if you sell, hire or otherwise transfer ownership of your vehicle within 12 months.


Vehicle emissions duty (VED)*

VED is an imports (excise) duty on vehicles that must be paid when the vehicle is first registered. This includes vehicles already in the Island that have not yet been registered with J plates.

The duty charged will be based on manufacturers' CO2 emissions data. CO2 emissions data is normally only available for cars produced since March 2001. For vehicles manufactured before this date, the cubic capacity (cc) will be used.

For full information on VED click here.

* All rates may be subject to change on an annual basis. For up-to-date information please visit


changing your driving licence

Anyone who becomes a resident in Jersey and who has a foreign driving licence (inlcuding UK licence holders) must exchange that licence for a Jersey one.

Application forms for a provisional driving licence or a full driving licence are available from your Parish Hall. You must be a permanent resident of Jersey to apply for a Jersey driving licence.

You must not drive a motor vehicle of any class or description on a road unless you hold a valid licence for that vehicle.

A driving licence is issued for one or more categories of vehicle and is valid for ten years. More information information is available from your Parish Hall and also here on



Vehicles: Cars are not subject to Road tax or MOTs in Jersey but you will need to change over your number plate and register your vehicle (see for more information on registration, import duties and any Goods and Services Tax that may be payable).

Pets: If you are bringing a pet to the Island from outside of the UK then you will need a pet passport. For more information on pet passports click here.






Driver & Vehicle Standards

T: +44(0)1534 448600


La Route De Veulle, La Collette, St Helier, JE1 3UE


States Veterinary Officer

T: +44(0)1534 441600


Howard Davis Farm, La Route de la Trinité, Trinity, JE3 5JP


Jersey Customs & Immigration Service (Freight clearance, duties, GST/VED)

Revenue & Goods Control (payment of GST on imports)

T: +44(0)1534 448000


Philip Le Feuvre House, La Motte Street, St Helier, JE4 8PE


Do you still have a query on the practicalities of moving to Jersey? Give us a call today on +44(0)1534 440604 or email You can also request a PDF copy of the information above.


Finding a home in Jersey: A useful guide to finding and buying a home in Jersey;