Skip to main content

Key Information

Moving your family and all your worldly possessions to a new home can be stressful, this page covers useful information for moving to Jersey. This information is also available in PDF format upon request by emailing Still have a query? Give us a call on +44(0)1534 440604.

On this page:


Currency: Jersey £ (but all United Kingdom sterling currencies are legal tender in the island and a number of retailers accept payment in Euro)

Time Zone: GMT


Moving your household goods

When you move to the Island, you must declare any household goods you are bringing with you to the Jersey Customs and Immigration Service (JCIS).

There may be instances where you will have to pay 5% GST* (Goods and Services Tax), Vehicle Excise Duty* (VED) or import duty on those goods. In certain circumstances you can qualify for relief on GST on personal belongings and VED on your vehicle. There is no relief on commercial items.

The personal property considered for relief is only applicable to the person who is changing residence or transferring personal property from a secondary residence.

Examples of personal property are household effects, bikes, caravans, pets, musical instruments etc.

There is no relief available for tobacco or tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, commercial means of transport or articles for use in a trade or profession other than portable instruments of the applied or liberal arts.

Items such as personal collections of antique or ornamental firearms will require a permit before they can be imported and you may only possess a firearm if you have been granted a firearm certificate by the Constable of the Parish in which you live, you can find more information here.

For further information on imports and exports click here.

* All rates may be subject to review and may change on an annual basis. For up-to-date information please visit


applying for gst relief on personal property

You can apply for relief on GST for imported belongings if:

  • you have owned the goods for more than 6 months and they have been in your possession at your former, normal place of residence
  • the goods are moving from a secondary residence outside Jersey to a principal residence in Jersey

The goods must have been in your possession and at your secondary place of residence for a minimum of six months prior to the date you import the goods into Jersey.

If it is considered that goods transferred from a secondary place of residence has deliberately been placed in storage at the secondary residence for a period of six months prior to importation to avoid GST no relief shall be granted unless:

  • the goods are intended for the same use as previously, at your new normal place of residence
  • your normal place of residence has been, for a continuous period of at least 12 months, outside of Jersey, or if your principal place of residence is in Jersey, but you own a secondary residence outside of Jersey

FAQ - What happens if I sell my goods after moving to Jersey?

If you lend, hire, sell, give as security or give away any property that was granted relief on change of residence or goods transferred from a secondary place of residence within 12 months of the relief being given, you must inform the JCIS. You will also be liable to pay GST on the value of those goods at disposal.

FAQ - I am moving to Jersey permanently. Can I make arrangements to import my goods and claim relief before taking up residence?

You must apply for GST relief prior to or when you arrive in Jersey. You are allowed to arrange for the importation of your goods into Jersey and make use of the change of residence relief for your personal goods before you move, so long as you take up actual residence within six months of the importation and security for the payment of GST is given to the satisfaction of the Agent of the Impôts, determined with reference to the liability to GST. If you meet certain criteria, you will not be charged GST on your personal belongings, including any means of transport.

To download the importer's declaration form click here.


Bringing your car to jersey

Make sure you have the right insurance

You will need to obtain new motor insurance for Jersey, including a cover note for the time between the car arriving in the Island and when it is registered in Jersey and has a Jersey registration plate. In Jersey you must show that your car is covered by valid car insurance by displaying a Windscreen Insurance Display that will be provided by your insurer.

Paying Customs, Goods and Services Tax (GST) and Vehicle Emissions Duties (VED) on an imported vehicle*

If you move to Jersey, intend to stay here permanently and will be bringing your vehicle with you, you may be liable for customs duty, VED and/or GST.

As with other personal goods being moved over, if you have owned the vehicle for more than 6 months, you can apply for personal belongings/change of residence relief you must make an application before or at the time you start living in Jersey.

If you're applying for secondary residence relief (moving the car from a secondary residence outside of Jersey to a principal residence in Jersey), you should make an application before or at the time the vehicle is imported.

You should visit Jersey Customs and Immigration Service to find out if the vehicle will incur any taxes. Please take with you:

  • photo ID (driving licence or passport)
  • registration document (usually V5C which must include manufacturers CO2 emissions data for cars, and cubic capacity (CC) for vans)
  • invoice for vehicle or a recent valuation
  • ferry ticket for bringing the vehicle to Jersey

* All rates may be subject to review and may change on an annual basis. For up-to-date information please visit


FAQ - What will I have to pay?

> Customs Duty and GST*

If you import the vehicle from the EU, it will be liable to GST at 5% on its value at import, including all freight charges and insurance costs.

If you import the vehicle from outside the EU, GST at 5% and customs duty must be paid. Customs duty is charged according to the type of goods and where they are imported from.

In cases where duty or GST payment relief is granted, you will be liable for any relevant taxes if you sell, hire or otherwise transfer ownership of your vehicle within 12 months.

> Vehicle emissions duty (VED)*

VED is an imports (excise) duty on vehicles that must be paid when the vehicle is first registered. This includes vehicles already in the Island that have not yet been registered with J plates.

The duty charged will be based on manufacturers' CO2 emissions data. CO2 emissions data is normally only available for cars produced since March 2001. For vehicles manufactured before this date, the cubic capacity (cc) will be used.

For full information on VED click here.

* All rates may be subject to review and may change on an annual basis. For up-to-date information please visit


Registering your vehicle in Jersey

If you intend to live, or have been living, in Jersey for more than 12 months you must register any motor vehicles you import immediately. There is no period of grace for driving in Jersey on foreign registration plates (Jersey residents cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle in the Island). You will need to change over your number plate. You must also be able to prove that you own the vehicle.

If your vehicle has been registered in another country and you plan on living in Jersey for more than 12 months, you'll need to:

  • Provide the following at Driver and Vehicle Standards (DVS) when you register your vehicle:
    • a Jersey driving licence (obtainable from your Parish Hall)
    • a valid registration certificate or export certificate (fax copies or photocopies are not acceptable)
    • Jersey customs import declaration
    • a valid insurance certificate or cover note for your vehicle (fax copies or photocopies are not acceptable)
  • book your vehicle in for an inspection
  • pay the inspection fee of (£36)*
  • provide a certificate of type approval for vehicles under 25 years old
  • provide an invoice or bill of sale for the vehicle
  • pay any Vehicle Emissions Duty (VED)*
  • pay any Goods and Services Tax (GST)*

To download forms and to find out more click here.

Vehicle specifications

Your vehicle will need to meet certain specifications and may be examined before it's registered. If your vehicle is over 25 years old, then special exemption provisions will apply.

It must meet with Jersey legislations. Some items which may not be allowed include:

  • headlights not designed or manufactured for driving on the left hand side of the road
  • mirrors without safety markings
  • seatbelts and anchorages without safety markings
  • speedometers that are not marked in both mph and kph
  • red direction indicators
  • lamps without the required angles of visibility
  • wheels and tyres that project beyond the wheel arches
  • windscreens and front side windows that are tinted beyond the legal limit
  • bull bars

It is worth noting, once registered in Jersey cars are currently not subject to Road tax or MOTs .


changing your driving licence

Anyone who becomes permanently resident in Jersey and who has a foreign driving licence (including UK licence holders) must exchange that licence for a Jersey one as soon as possible.

Application forms for a provisional driving licence or a full driving licence are available from your Parish Hall.

You must not drive a motor vehicle of any class or description on a road unless you hold a valid licence for that vehicle.

A driving licence is issued for one or more categories of vehicle and is valid for ten years. More information is available from your Parish Hall and also here on

A full valid driving licence (not a provisional) from the list of countries in the table below may be exchanged for a Jersey driving licence (not all categories of licence are exchangeable).

Table: Accepted driving licenses in Jersey from countries with an exchange agreement.

In addition to the countries which have an exchange of license agreement with Jersey, Jersey will also accept licences from the following countries for exchange.

Table: Accepted driving licenses in Jersey for exchange.

If you hold a driving licence from a country that isn't listed, you must pass both a theory and practical driving test in Jersey to be granted a full Jersey driving licence.


Bringing your pet to Jersey

Moving with your pet from the UK, IOM or Other CIs

If you are relocating to Jersey from the UK, Isle of Man or another Channel Island then you will not need a pet passport for your pet. The exception to this is if you are bringing in a pet from the UK which originated from abroad (this includes the Republic of Ireland), the pet must have landed legally in the UK before travelling to Jersey. Pets that do not meet the entry requirements for the UK may be seized on arrival in Jersey. It is a legal requirement that all dogs are microchipped in the UK before they are eight weeks old or sold.

It is illegal to import certain breeds and types of dogs (deemed Dangerous Dogs) to Jersey. These breeds and types are:

  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Japanese Tosa (or Tosa)
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brasileiro
  • Any type of dog which appears to have been bred for fighting

Moving with your pet from outside of the UK, IOM, or Other CIs

If you are importing an animal into Jersey from outside of the United Kingdom, Isle of Man or another Channel Island, you need to contact the States Veterinary Department as soon as you can. The process to import can take several weeks or even months.


Dog Licences

By law, every dog in Jersey must be licensed, except those under six months old and guide dogs used solely by a blind or deaf person. You must purchase a licence for each dog you keep. The licence fee is £5* per dog and lasts for 1 year. The licence must be renewed by 31 January each year. A licence cannot be issued to a person under the age of 16 years.

All dog owners are responsible for their dogs. In particular:

  • Every dog on a highway or in a public place must wear a collar which shows the owner’s name and address and telephone number. This will help reunite you and your dog should it stray and may avoid you incurring collection and housing costs
  • It is an offence to allow a dog to worry livestock
  • From 1 May to 30 September, dogs must be kept on a lead when on a beach between 10.30am and 6pm
  • It is an offence not to clear up after your dog and the penalty is £1,000

For more information and how to apply for a licence click here.  


Bringing horses to Jersey when you relocate

FAQ - What do I need to import a horse from the UK?

A valid horse passport, unless the horse is returning to Jersey less than 30 days after export.


FAQ - What do I need to import a horse from Ireland?

A valid horse passport.


FAQ - What do I need to import a horse from an EU Member State (other than from UK or Republic of Ireland)?

A valid health certificate and a valid horse passport.

Please note, from France only, for eligible horses, a valid DOCOM may replace a valid health certificate.


FAQ - What do I need to import a horse from outside the EU?

For non-EU Countries contact the Department of the Environment. While the department will endeavor to help, it is the exporter’s responsibility to meet requirements of the importing country.

Find more information on Horse Passports here.


FAQ - Will I have to pay to import my horse?

If you import a horse for long-term personal use you are liable to pay GST. Contact Customs and Immigration for relevant forms and fees.






Driver & Vehicle Standards

T: +44(0)1534 448600


La Route De Veulle, La Collette, St Helier, JE1 3UE


States Veterinary Officer

T: +44(0)1534 441600


Howard Davis Farm, La Route de la Trinité, Trinity, JE3 5JP


Jersey Customs & Immigration Service (Freight clearance, duties, GST/VED)

Revenue & Goods Control (payment of GST on imports)

T: +44(0)1534 448000


Philip Le Feuvre House, La Motte Street, St Helier, JE4 8PE


Do you still have a query on the practicalities of moving to Jersey? Give us a call today on +44(0)1534 440604 or email  You can also request a PDF copy of the information above.

“We were astonished by the speed and simplicity with which we were able to source our lovely home and move to the Island. In fact, from first thinking about moving to the Channel Islands to purchasing our house, took less than four months from start to finish (including obtaining our housing consent from the States of Jersey within just two weeks)!”

Andrew & Fiona Tyrer