The page covers residency and immigration for individuals moving to Jersey. Find more information on Moving to Jersey in our key information pages ‘Living and Working in Jersey’ or get in touch with a member of the team on +44(0)1534 440604 or

Moving To Jersey As A Business, Successful Entrepreneur Or HNWI

Ordinarily you have to live in Jersey continuously for 5 years and gain Entitled for work status* before you can start a business or work in most jobs. You also have to live in Jersey continuously for 10 years and gain Entitled status* to access the full property market. However, there are exceptions, Jersey welcomes applications from:

  • Skilled, economically active High Net Worth Individuals (HNWIs); and
  • High value activity businesses and their principals, who are looking to move offshore.

For these individuals there are two routes that can be followed:

  • Business relocation; this is for businesses which want to establish on the Island. This route gives the business principals (or essential employees) the option to apply for a ‘Licensed’ permission. Individuals can then access the full residential market.
  • High value residency; this route is income based and gives individuals ‘Entitled’ status. Individuals gain full residential and employment rights, subject to specific conditions.

*see the table below for definitions.

Residency And Employment

The Control of Housing and Work (Jersey) Law has 4 main categories of residential and employment status. These determine where you can live and work in Jersey and are summarised in the table below.

You can find more information by following the Links at the bottom of this page. Or contact a member of the Locate Jersey team for more information on +44(0)1534 440604 or

Residency & Immigration

Immigration - Work Permits And Visas


You do not need immigration permission to visit or live in Jersey if you are a British citizen.

As of 31 December 2020, if you are non-British national (including Irish and EU/EEA nationals), and are travelling to Jersey from abroad, you may need a UK visa. You may also be subject to certain requirements.

To check if you need a UK visa follow the Links at the bottom of this page.

Work permits

If you are a non EU/EEA national with permission to; visit, work or reside in; the UK, Guernsey or the Isle of Man, you don’t need another UK visa or immigration permission. However, your employer may need to apply for a Jersey work permit for you. These are issued by the Jersey Customs and Immigration Service. See Recruiting Staff.

You do not need a permit to work in Jersey if you are:

  • a British citizen or a British subject with the right of abode;
  • a national of a member state of the EU/ European Economic Area (EEA), unless you are a Croatian national;
  • a non-EEA family member of an EEA national but you must get an EEA family permit before entering Jersey;
  • a Swiss national;
  • a Commonwealth citizen admitted as a working holiday maker;
  • a Commonwealth citizen admitted on the grounds of UK ancestry;
  • a Commonwealth citizen with a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode;
  • a participant in the Youth Mobility Scheme;
  • a minister of religion;
  • a business visitor; or
  • a non EU / EEA passport holder who has no restrictions attached to your stay.

Some nationalities need both a work permit and a visa. If you do not meet the above criteria, your employer must apply for a Jersey work permit for you. If this application is successful, you can then apply for your UK visa. Follow the links at the bottom of the page for more information.

Residential/Working Status for Married Couples and Civil Partners who Move to Jersey

Each application is dealt with on a case by case basis.

Usually if you have:

  • Entitled status as a High Value Resident; or
  • a Licensed permission as a business principal/essential employee,

Your husband/wife/civil partner will be granted Entitled for Work Only status so long as you retain that permission.

If you are granted a Registered permission, your spouse or Civil Partner will also have Registered permission.

The Residential and Employment Status policy guidance has more detailed information.

Residential/Working Status for Non-Married Couples

Each application is dealt with on a case by case basis.

If you are not married to your partner, they will not benefit from your residential or working status. They will have Registered status until they have completed 5 years residency. After 5 years they will become Entitled for Work Only.

If before that time they want to

  • apply for a role within a Jersey company – the company  would need to have a permission to employ an individual who does not have 5 years residency; or
  • start their own business – they would have to submit an application for a business licence as an registered individual.

Any long-term, co-habiting relationship of at least 3 years with an Entitled or Licensed person may be taken into account as part of an employment or business licence application.

A long-term co-habiting relationship would need to be proven by documentation across a 3 year period. Where possible documents should be addressed in both names. Documents addressed to each person may be acceptable, provided they show the same address.

This evidence should be from different and authoritative sources for example:

  • joint mortgage;
  • utility bills;
  • bank statements;
  • tenancy agreements;
  • insurance policies/certificates or other correspondence;
  • loan agreements; and
  • correspondence from government departments or agencies etc.

For more information see the Links at the bottom of this page.

Residential Rules for Children Under 16

Each individual’s residential status is specific to their circumstances.

Usually, when someone moves to the Island before the age of 16 they will have Registered status. They will have Registered status until they have completed 5 years continuous residency. After 5 years they will become Entitled for Work Only. After 10 years continuous they will achieve Entitled status.


Time spent in full-time education outside of Jersey may be considered as continuous residence, if:

  • the child was ordinarily living in Jersey immediately before beginning higher education; and
  • both parents remain ordinarily resident in Jersey for the entire period of study.


If your child has not reached 5 years residency but a wants part-time job, employers do not need a registered permission to employ them, if:

  • your child arrived in Jersey at 16 years old or under; and
  • is in full time education.

Residential and Working Status Rules for Children Over 16

Each individual’s residential status is specific to their circumstances and will be assessed as such.

Generally, when someone moves to the Island after the age of 16 they will have Registered status. After 5 years continuous residency, they will gain Entitled for Work Only status. After 10 years continuous residency they will achieve Entitled status.


If the child has not completed 5 years continuous residency, a Jersey company would need a Registered permission to employ them.

The following may be taken into account in an employment application, if the Registered person is:

  • under 25; and
  • the child of a resident Entitled/Entitled for Work Only or Licensed person,


Time spent outside of Jersey for full-time education may be considered as continuous residence, if:

  • your child is under 25 years old when you move to Jersey; and
  • your child was ordinarily resident in Jersey immediately before beginning higher education; and
  • both parents remain ordinarily resident in Jersey for the entire period of the study.

Residency and Change in Marital Circumstances

If you become

  • widowed;
  • divorced; or
  • separated.

You may be able to qualify for ‘entitled’ status on hardship, economic or social grounds.

Each case is assessed according to the individual circumstances and will take account of Residential and Employment Status Policy Guidance (March 2018).

These are considered to be exceptional cases and the final decision is made by the Chief Minister.

For more information see the Links at the bottom of this page.

EU Citizens and Brexit

Jersey has its own EU Settlement Scheme to ensure that EU citizens who live in the Island are able to stay. The Jersey EU Settlement Scheme provides:

  • settled status to successful applicants who have been living in Jersey continuously for 5 years or more by 31st December 2020. This allows them to continue to living and working in Jersey. They will also be able to apply for British nationality.
  • pre-settled status to applicants who fulfill all the requirements of the application but have been living in Jersey for less than 5 years. This includes those who move to Jersey between the end of 2018 and 31st December 2020. After they have completed 5 years residence they can then apply for settled status.
  • the ability family members who are living with, or join, EU citizens in Jersey by 31st December 2020, to apply for settled status, after 5 years in the Island.
  • close family members (spouses, civil and unmarried partners, dependent children and grandchildren, and dependent parents and grandparents) the ability to join EU citizens in the Island (where the family relationship existed on 31st December 2020).

EU citizens who arrive in Jersey 31st October 2019 will have to apply for settled status if they choose to stay in Jersey longer than 3 months.

Applying for settled status

To apply for settled status you need to provide the following to the Jersey Customs and Immigration Service:

  • an identity document (Passport or National Identity Document); and
  • a recent photograph to confirm your identity and nationality; and
  • declaration of any criminal convictions.

The application process is quick and user-friendly, and uses a mobile app. The application process will check three simple things:

  • your identity
  • the length of your residence in Jersey
  • any criminal convictions. Only serious or persistent criminality will affect eligibility for the scheme

If you already have, either:

  • indefinite leave to remain; or
  • permanent residence

You will have to apply to the Jersey EU Settlement Scheme in the same way as all other EU citizens.

Irish Citizens and Brexit

Irish citizens enjoy a right of residence in Jersey that is not reliant on any relationship with the EU.

Your ability to remain in Jersey is unaffected by Brexit. You do not have to apply for settled status under the Jersey EU Settlement Scheme.

Purchasing Property and Residential Status

Licensed individuals are only allowed to own and occupy one property as their sole or principal place of residence.

High Value Residents (2(1)e residents) are  expected to buy or rent a high value property. High value property is considered to be of a minimum value of £1.75 million for a house and £900,000 for an apartment*. High Value Residents can also, subject to certain conditions:

  • buy, develop and sell residential properties through a property development company. Any free-standing units of residential accommodation must be sold to Entitled or Licensed individuals on completion of the development;
  • can buy residential properties in their own name which have been unoccupied, or have been on the market for sale, for more than 2 years. These properties must be leased to Entitled or Licensed persons;
  • can buy a residential property that adjoins their main place of residence in Jersey if:
    • the adjoining property more naturally falls within the same curtilage as the property already owned and occupied as their main residence; and
    • it is approved by the Assistant Chief Minister

It is expected that the purchase would be completed in the same name, either person or company, as their main residence. There may also be other conditions placed on the purchase. N.B any income derived from Jersey property is taxed at 20%.

*All rates may be subject to review and may change on an annual basis. Information accurate as at 1st Jan 2020.

Richard Parkinson

“Once we got a license to work on the Island, everything else fell into place. Locate Jersey were especially helpful assisting us in formulating a business plan to the practicalities of relocation and living in Jersey. The only real challenge was getting a visa for my partner, who’s American. However, Locate Jersey even helped guide us through that, so we were very impressed and relieved.”

Richard Parkinson (Co-Founder SM2)

For more information or to have a free confidential chat about moving to Jersey, call a member of our team today on +44(0)1534 440604 or email us at

You can also find more information about living in Jersey by using the button below

Why Jersey