Skip to main content

Key Information

Welcome to our resource centre, where you’ll find links to the latest information on Jersey’s business environment, location and lifestyle. For more specific advice and guidance on setting up your business or relocating, contact the Locate Jersey team direct.

Business/Residency Applications

Residency applications, Business Relocation, Residential Status, Registration Cards

High Value Residency

Jersey welcomes applications from highly skilled and economically active High Value Residents who can demonstrate the ability to generate an annual minimum tax contribution of £145,000. To apply for residency, you will need to provide the following documentation.

  • Personal letter of application
  • Business profile of applicant
  • Financial profile
  • Two personal references
  • Two business references
  • Verified copy of valid passport
  • A Disclosure Certificate from the Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) formerly known as a CRB Certificate - a basic disclosure can be done by Disclosure Scotland for any UK resident, whether living in Scotland or otherwise (
  • Marriage certificate (only for those who wish to purchase a property in joint names)

Further information is available at:

View our High Value Residency Brochure online.

Business Relocation

Under Jersey law, you are required to have a licence to operate a business and employ staff in the island. To qualify for a business licence  you must have been resident in Jersey for five years, unless you can demonstrate that the business is of high economic or social value to the island. Key factors include:

  • Corporate tax payable by the company (this only applies if it is a Jersey Financial Services Commission-regulated financial services business, or a utility company)
  • If the business is non-regulated, and does not pay corporate tax, then a key factor would be tax payable in the island by owners and staff of the business
  • Creation of high value jobs for islanders
  • Training and development opportunities for islanders
  • Graduate and school leaver opportunities
  • Use of Jersey firms for work required locally (IT, legal, accountancy, HR etc)
  • Corporate Social Responsibility (a commitment to the local community)

Business licence applications require a supporting business plan, which should include three years’ audited accounts for the existing business and a three year financial forecast as well as details of staff for the Jersey business.  Applications can be made for a Licenced permission which is a time-limited consent allowing specialist staff and/or the owner of the business to work in the island and lease or buy appropriate housing.  The role must be a position that cannot be filled by someone already entitled to live and work in Jersey.

More information and a range of business application forms are available here:

View our Inward Investment Brochure online or a quick guide to Jersey's proposition: Jersey. For business. For Life.





Forming or Registering a Company in Jersey

Businesses must be registered with the Companies Registry (Jersey Financial Services Commission). If you wish to form a Jersey ‘Limited’ company, a local professional service provider (with the correct permissions) will need to act on your behalf, as the business cannot be formed by someone resident outside of Jersey. You are also required to have a Jersey registered address for the business.

More information on registering your business is available at:

Registration Cards

All new Jersey residents must apply for a registration card, required when signing a tenancy, lease or contract agreement and when starting a new job.

More information on how to apply for a registration card is available at: 

Residential Status

There are four categories of residential status in Jersey; Entitled, Licensed, Entitled to Work and Registered.

(High Value Residents are approved under article 2(1)e of the Control of Housing and Work Law but for residential status purposes, they are given a conditioned “Entitled” status).

More information on these categories can be found at:


Tax & Contributions

Personal Tax, Company Tax, Goods & Services Tax (GST), Social Security

Tax and Social Security – a quick guide

Personal income tax

  • 20% maximum rate. All income tax payers also pay a 0.5-1% Long Term Care contribution each year.

High Value Residency income tax

  • 20% on the first £725,000 of worldwide earned income (equivalent to £145,000) plus an additional 1% on all other worldwide income. 20% on revenue from Jersey property.

Company tax

  • 0% standard rate
  • 10% tax for certain regulated financial services companies
  • 20% tax for Jersey utility and property income companies

(BEPS  - In June 2017, the Jersey Government signed the Multilateral Convention to Implement Tax Treaty Related Measures to Prevent Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS) (Paris, 24.11.206).  In doing so, the island has further demonstrated our internationally recognised leading position in complying with the international standards on financial regulation, anti-money laundering and tax transparency and information exchange. Jersey is fully supportive of the BEPS project and is active in implementing the actions making up the project.)

Social Security contribution for employees

  • 6%

Social security contribution for employers

  • 6.5% on earnings up to £4,290 per month, plus an additional 2% on earnings over £4,290 and under £14,188 per month (as at 01/01/2018)


  • 5%

Find more information on tax in Jersey at:


Health & Education

Healthcare, Schools and Education


Jersey’s General Hospital provides a full range of services, with reciprocal health agreements covering specific treatments that require care at specialist UK units. The island has extensive private healthcare, good relationships with the main medical insurance companies, and over 20 GP surgeries, all of which are private practice.

There is a charge for GP visits, but the majority of prescriptions are free. Our dental service is also privately provided, and offers a full range of general and aesthetic dental care.

For more information, visit:


Jersey values a high standard of education, with the island’s GCSE and A level results equivalent to the upper quartile of the UK education authorities. School places are offered to children at the beginning of the school year in which their fifth birthday falls. There are three types of schools in Jersey:

  • free States of Jersey schools
  • fee-paying States of Jersey schools
  • private fee-paying schools (fees can be as little as a third of those in the UK)

For more information on schools in Jersey, contact the Locate Jersey team direct or visit:


Travel & Work Permits

Connections, Passports...


With major financial centres only a short flight away, Jersey puts you at the hub of a world-wide travel network. Discover commuting that doesn't cost you hours with swift travel links to major European and UK cities.

With daily flights to international hub airports, and easy access to the UK and Europe’s transport networks, Jersey is your starting point for a world of connections.

Jersey Airport website:

Port of Jersey:

Work permits and Visas

You do not need a permit to work in Jersey if you are:

  • a British citizen or a British subject with the right of abode
  • a national of a member state of the European Union (EU) / European Economic Area (EEA) (except if you are a Croatian national)
  • a non-EEA family member of an EEA national may also work without a permit but must obtain an EEA family permit before entering Jersey
  • a Swiss national
  • a Commonwealth citizen admitted as a working holiday maker
  • a Commonwealth citizen admitted on the grounds of UK ancestry
  • a Commonwealth citizen with a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode
  • a participant in the Youth Mobility Scheme
  • a minister of religion
  • a business visitor
  • a non EU / EEA passport holder who has no restrictions attached to your stay

Some nationalities require visas as well as work permits. If your employer’s application for a work permit is successful, you may also need a visa. The UK Border Agency website will show if you need a visa.

Speak with Locate Jersey on how to apply for a work permit or for more information, visit:


Practical Information about Moving to Jersey

Currency: Jersey £ (but all United Kingdom sterling currencies are legal tender in the island and a number of retailers accept payment in Euro)

Time Zone: GMT

Driving Licence: Jersey – you will need to surrender your UK driving licence and replace it with a Jersey driving licence (see for more information)

Vehicles: Cars are not subject to Road tax or MOTs in Jersey but you will need to change over your number plate and register your vehicle (see for more information on registration, import duties and any Goods and Services Tax that may be payable).

Pets: If you are bringing a pet to the island from outside of the UK then you will need a pet passport (see for more information)